Westland began as a book distributor but ventured into publishing since 2007. Today, it is one of the top five English language trade publisher in the country and its imprints include
- Tranquebar Press (for literary fiction and non-fiction),
- EastWest (focusing on South India heritage) and
- Westland (for trade books, both fiction and non-fiction).
The present company was formed from the merger of two companies,
- Westland Books Pvt. Ltd and
- EastWest Books (Madras) Pvt. Ltd in April 2008.
Initially owned by tata now by amazon